Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

My First Cat and some sad memories

This is Buttons, my first cat (well, he was my first step-mother's cat until he discovered that I would pay attention to him). Long soft fur and I think he was gray and white pretty much as you see him here. This picture of myself and Buttons was taken around 1962-1965, not really sure. Looks like I am wearing my brother Floyd's Air Force jacket (and if you could see my feet, probably his boots too) since I wore those most of the time back then.
The house in the background is the neighbor's house which was the first house built in our neighborhood. The original owner was the person that owned all of the land around the area, Rosewarne was his last name. A local school is named after him, not sure if he gave the land or if he sold it cheap.. or how it got his name. The school had 3 rooms; Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd in one room; 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the next room; 6th, 7th, and 8th in the last room. After that, for high school, you had to go into Niles to their schools. But before I went to high school Rosewarne annexed with Brandywine schools and so I started 6th grade in the Jr. High at Brandywine schools. I went there until partway through 10th grade when my dad remarried and we moved away from the home shown in this picture.
I have a lot of fond memories of this place, and a few very sad ones. When I was younger (9 yrs old) than in this picture, my mother died. A couple years later my dad remarried (probably too fast, trying to provide a mother for us kids) but it did not last. When I was in 10th grade, at Thanksgiving time, my dad married a wonderful woman who was my mother until she died about 30 years later. I think my dad died about a year after her.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment